I love making chilli. It’s a comforting and hearty dish that is easy to put together. It’s really adaptable – you can put in anything you like, and as long as it’s seasoned well it’ll taste good!
This sweet potato and black bean chilli is tasty, slightly spicy and vegan too. I topped my chilli with cheese and sour cream, but you can easily find vegan alternatives for these.
This recipe freezes well, so you could double the recipe and pop half in the freezer for another night. Whether stuffed in a burrito, added on top of a baked potato or with some rice, this chilli is full of flavour and won’t disappoint.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small/1 large sweet potato
- 1 red onion
- 1 large carrot
- 400g black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large pepper
- sweetcorn – as much or as little as you’d like!
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- half a large red chilli
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1-2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cheese, sour cream and coriander for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, sweet potato and pepper and allow them to cook and soften for approx. 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chilli and stir for one minute before adding the seasoning. Stir for further few minutes, ensuring the seasoning doesn’t stick to your pan.
- Add the vegetable stock and chopped tomatoes. Stir to ensure they are well mixed. Allow this to simmer on a low heat for around 30 minutes and stir occasionally. Add some water if it seems too thick.
- Add the black beans and sweetcorn. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary. Add the chopped coriander and stir before serving.
If you’re happy with a chunky veggie chilli then you are done! However, if you prefer a thicker and smoother texture then you could roughly blend some of the chilli.
As you can see, I went for a chunky chilli and it was delicious!
Read my last post here.