As Christmas gets closer and the temperature keeps dropping, I’m all about homemade soup and some nice fresh bread. This spicy carrot soup recipe is something I came up with a few weeks ago, and I honestly can’t get enough of it! The ginger, chilli and coriander combo means it’s perfect for warming you up this winter.
The soup is easy to make and doesn’t take too long, so it’s a great lazy dinner option!
1 large onion
2 large cloves of garlic
Approx 1 tbsp of grated ginger
1 small red chilli
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 kg of carrots
1 litre vegetable stock
A splash of coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
A handful of fresh coriander
- Chop and peel your onions, garlic, carrots and potato so they’re ready to go!
- Heat your pot over a medium heat and add a dash of oil or butter. Add in your onions and cook till translucent.
- Then add your minced garlic, grated ginger and chopped chilli and cook for a few minutes till fragrant.
- Pop in the ground nutmeg and coriander and quickly stir to ensure it doesn’t stick to your pot.
- Pop in your chopped carrots and potato. Mix them in with the rest of your ingredients before adding one litre of vegetable stock.
- Simmer until the vegetables are soft, then turn the heat off.
- Add in a handful of fresh coriander before blending your soup till it’s nice and smooth. I use a hand blender, but you can use whatever you have!
- Last but not least, add a splash of coconut milk. It’ll give your soup a nice creamy finish! If you don’t have any coconut milk, you could use pouring cream or creme fraiche.
Serve with a big slice of sourdough and enjoy!
Are you going to try this out? If you do then I’d love to see a picture of your recreation!
In the mood to read more? Make sure you’re all caught up with my last post.
If you’d like to see more of me then head on over to my Instagram.